Ultraviolet disinfection systems are mysterious to many people – how can “light” kill bacteria? But the truth is it can.
Ultraviolet (UV) technology has been around for over 50 years, and its effectiveness has been well documented both scientifically and commercially. It is nature's own disinfection/purification method. It provides a solution suitable for both small flow residential applications as well as large flow commercial projects.
Ultraviolet is a means of killing or rendering harmless micro organisms in a dedicated environment. These micro organisms can range from bacteria and viruses to algae and protozoa. UV disinfection is used in air and water purification, sewage treatment, protection of food and beverages and many other disinfection and sterilization applications. A major advantage of UV treatment is that it is capable of disinfecting water faster than chlorine without cumbersome retention tanks and harmful chemicals. UV treatment systems are also extremely cost efficient!
Ultraviolet is one energy region of the electromagnetic spectrum. Since natural germicidal UV from the sun is screened out by the earth's atmosphere, we must look to alternative means of producing UV light. This is accomplished through the conversion of electrical energy in a low-pressure mercury vapor “hard glass” quartz lamp. Electrons flow through the ionized mercury vapor between the electrodes of the lamp, which then creates UV light.
As UV light penetrates through the cell wall and cytoplasmic membrane, it causes a molecular rearrangement of the micro organism's DNA, which prevents it from reproducing. If the cell cannot reproduce, it is considered dead.